Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Donald Trump Speaks One Truth at First Presidential Debate

I gave up Monday Night Football and an evening of virtual Spades to watch the first Presidential Candidates' debate.  

I was happy to see fellow journalist and baby boomer Lester Holt acting as moderator, although I was somewhat disappointed that he didn't take better control of Donald Trump's rants.  But, then again, that is who "the Donald" is so he was true to form.

And speaking of being "true", Trump stated something during the debate that I have been saying for years about the Democratic candidates.  He said they court Blacks and other minorities during election season and then dump us once they get elected.  Now that, in my opinion, is a TRUE statement.   I am not sure how we (especially Southerners) got hoodwinked and bamboozled into believing the Democratic Party was our Saviour from the economic, racial and social ills that continue to plague us. Obviously, black people in the South don't recall the history of the Dixiecrats, the Southern Democrats who seceded from the party in 1948 and created their own agenda which included states' rights to freedom from governmental interference and the right to exclude whomever they wanted from business and other organizations.  

Democratic candidates constantly dangle a carrot of hope and opportunities in front of us making us believe they will fight for our rights once they get elected.  What they NEVER tell us is they will be fighting against a majority of other elected officials who have their own hidden agendas  that don't include the well-being of minorities.

Case in point:  About 10 years ago when my daughter was entering college at North Carolina A&T I had an issue and wanted my local Congressman, David Price, to get involved and help me or at least guide me in the right direction.  I called his local Durham, NC and Washington offices repeatedly and left messages.  I got no response.  I lost all respect for him and his staff after that and have never voted for him again---although he keeps winning.  He is a great example of "showing up" when he needs us but he obviously didn't need me at that time or I'm sure there would've been a response.  

So even though I think Donald Trump is an imbecile and unfit to be President I do give him a kudos for ranting one truth at the first Presidential debate.  

No comments:

Post a Comment